11 July 2016

1930s Farmer's Wife QAL ~ #83 Poppy

Today I'm happy to be joining Kerry again on the 1930's Farmers Wife Quilt along.  My block this week is called Poppy, which obviously with a little Poppy all of my own I was keen to stitch!  I would hasten to add that my enthusiasm for the name did somewhat blinker my common sense and it was only when I stopped to have a look at the reality of piecing her, did I realise what I had let myself in for..... she was a tricksy little lady, just like her namesake!

Never one to shy away from a challenge I had planned on English Paper Piecing her, but having given myself a stern talking too decided to give Foundation Paper Piecing (FPP) another go...not a technique that historically I have really enjoyed...that being said you can not fail to be astounded by the opportunities that the technique opens up when mastered.

For those who've not tried or come across Foundation Paper Piecing, in simple terms you print templates on to paper (those for the blocks in the book are found on the disc that comes with it) and then place your fabric behind and sew through the paper along the seam lines as shown. Once stitched you then tear the paper away leaving with you precisely sewn little pieces.


I may not have explained that particularly well and I'm certainly not able to demonstrate, but it just so happens that Kerry is herself a bit of a whiz when it coms to FPP so do go and visit her.  Another blog I like to read for stunning examples of FPP is Charise Creates and she also has a fabulous tutorial for fussy cutting in FPP which you can read here.

 I won't say that I loved every moment ( all 4 hours of it).... but I'm definitely up for giving FPP another go....watch this space.
Thanks so much Kerry for inviting me on the Blog Hop and I can not wait to see your finished quilt!

In other news, I've finished the A Little Happy Year Block of the Month Quilt Top, so make sure you pop back tomorrow for some more pictures and information on when and how you can join!
Share:

2 comments

  1. Wow that is an incredible little quilt block - so many pieces! Good for you for getting the paper piecing down. I still am learning how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a stunning block, well worth the 4 hours!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it really does make my day! If you have a question, please do ask away and I will do my very best to answer. Sarah xo

Update July 2020: Unfortunately, due to a large increase in spam and inappropriate comments, I have turned on 'Comment Moderation', so your comment will not appear immediately. My apologies for this!

© A Little Happy Place | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig