20 July 2016

Here's one I made earlier!









 It suddenly dawned on me this morning that I had never shared my basket of flowers that I stitched a couple of months ago, using in the main gorgeous fabrics from Aneela Hoey's stunning Vignette collection.

The basket pattern I used, can be found in  Lori Holt's book Great Granny Squared, more copies due in to the shop soon!  It's been on my hit list for a while and was, as you would expect from Lori's clear and concise pattern instructions, a breeze to piece together.

The appliqued flowers were my own addition, but were simply made using various shapes from Lori's fabulous 'Bloom templates', which you can find HERE.  I used as always, my favourite interfacing method to prepare the shapes and then hand appliqued them using Aurifil 50wt.  The stems were made using my Clover 1/4" Bias Maker with the fabric cut on the cross to allow the stems to bend.

I spent and enjoyable few evenings hand quilting using a mix of of Aurifil 12 wt in various colours,  I'm particularly pleased with the black stitching, I think it really makes the colours from the fabrics pop.  Black interestingly seems to feature in quite a few up coming collections, 'Handmade' by Bonnie and Camille and 'Olives Flower Market' by Lella Boutique spring to mind.  For the majority of the quilting I simply followed the outline of the shapes, but I also had fun using different stitches to create texture and patterns.  My hera marker was as always a handy tool to mark out the cross hatching on the basket.

As always if you have any questions about the techniques, fabric or equipment I used, simply leave a comment below or pop me an email and I'll happily do my best to help!

Just before I go, can I just say a HUGE thank you to everyone who has joined our Block of the Month so far, mum and I are thrilled to have so many of you sewing along...we're certainly going to be busy with lots of cutting! 

I hope that you're enjoying the sunny weather.....I know one shouldn't complain, but boy isn't it hot!

See you next time.
Share:

3 comments

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it really does make my day! If you have a question, please do ask away and I will do my very best to answer. Sarah xo

Update July 2020: Unfortunately, due to a large increase in spam and inappropriate comments, I have turned on 'Comment Moderation', so your comment will not appear immediately. My apologies for this!

© A Little Happy Place | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig